Marianne - the only other YW leader who was able to attend as the other four who had signed up to attend were unable to come that night due to last minute due to illnesses - graciously allowed me to go to bed around 1 a.m. while she stayed up with the girls to watch a movie. At 4:15 a.m. the alarm clock sounded and we got the girls up for the drive up to downtown Charlotte for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. It was a great experience! Our job as volunteers was to help set up the water tables and then make sure that every man, woman, child, and dog received a bottle of water upon crossing the finish line. There were over 25,000 participants so our girls had their work cut out for them! And they did not disappoint! I believe each runner was given a bottle or two (or three!) regardless of whether or not they wanted it!
It was inspiring to see so many citizens show up for the event and I am hereby committing to actually participating IN the race next year! There's also a 200 yard fun-dash for kids and I think it would be fun to let Jack enter, too. :) One highlight to my morning occurred as I was helping Mike - another volunteer - open the cases of water and slide them down the line. He was very chatty and at one point quizzed me on whether I knew who came up with the original idea of the assembly line. As any good Jeopardy connoisseur would know I answered, "Henry Ford." Impressed he stopped and said, "Very good! What grade are you all in again? They're teaching you guys well!" Apparently he had gone the entire morning thinking I was one of the Young Women. :) I guess if I can still pass as a YW I must be doing something right! I gently corrected him and told him my secret was daily sun-screen and lots of water. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment