Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Preschool and Trunk-Or-Treat!

On Thursday and Friday I had my first turn at teaching preschool and I think it went pretty well! There is an amazing educational supply store nearby that had all sorts of fun wall decor that went along with my lessons which were 'germs/hygiene' and 'visiting the doctor'. (And the great part is that I can keep those on the wall in our playroom and have them every day for the boys to look at and remember!) Thursday was Riley's 3rd birthday so she brought cupcakes for the class and of course those were a big hit, too. :)

We started class with the letter of the day (Bb), the color of the day (green), and the shape of the day (triangle). Then I introduced them to a song to help them memorize the days of the week and the months of the year...(it will take a while for those to stick, I think ;). Afterwards we talked about the weather, the time, and the season. It was so fun and more challenging than I thought trying to describe each of those things in terms they could understand! Those are all things that as adults we just 'know' and it's easy to forget that they haven't been taught the basics yet!

My 'classroom' is in our front room - which used to be a formal dining area, but we removed the table because we only ever use the kitchen table and the space is nice for the boys and their friends to play in. Eventually it will be an office/music area, but for now it makes a great classroom!

The class! Arwen, Kate, Jack, and Riley. There is one kid missing - Austin - who's mom decided to hop on board with our co-op making me very happy since Jack will now have another boy in his class! Austin came on Friday, but I forgot to take pictures. I can't wait until it's my turn to teach again!

*******************************************************************

Last Saturday the sun was shining and the weather was beautiful...perfect conditions for our ward's trunk-or-treat! The boys got to show off their costumes - I suppose I should say Jack got to show off his costume as Eddie was far to consumed with consuming candy to care what I put him in - and they each got more candy than they really needed. (But isn't that the whole point?! :)

I must say their costumes turned out better than I anticipated though Jack was a little upset that I wasn't able to put together a 'Bumblebee' transformer costume for Eddison. I honestly searched for a way to do it, but couldn't find one that didn't require more money than I was willing to spend on it. Especially when he really didn't care at all!

CANDY!!!

The boys decided randomly to sit down in the middle of the parking lot for a candy-break. Trunk-or-treating is hard work!

Justin is supposed to be Napoleon Dynamite. Since he never got around to getting the rest of his costume together he ended up just wearing the hair and the glasses... Napoleon? Not so much... Hysterical? Definitely! :)

Here we are! The Magician and her 'Pulling-a-Rabbit-from-a-hat trick'! It was a last minute idea that turned out pretty cute, if I do say so myself! :) (Of course Eddison was the main attraction! All I did was wear a cape and paint a dowel black and white for my 'magic wand'.)

Here's a better picture of the Rabbit-in-a-hat. He was a hit! :)

Here is Optimus Prime! The leader of the Autobots and one seriously cool Transformer! (Not to mention one extremely happy kid!) (Yes...the costume took awhile to paint...and yes, it was totally worth it when he saw it all done and got to put it on! :)




4 comments:

Jennie said...

Such cute costumes although I didn't realize what Justin was supposed to be till I saw your blog.

I bet you are a super fun preschool teacher.

Lisa said...

Wow, great job on the costumes!

kell-bell said...

You are so creative! I love the costumes, homemade costumes have to be the sweetest thing ever!

Molly said...

Love the rabbit in the hat! I have never seen that done before! So cute!