Sunday, September 30, 2007

End of September Novel















I could easily write a novel to describe the events of the past week and a half, but I'll try to limit myself as much as possible without missing anything. Bottom line: life is busy! I believe I last posted around the time the Mustang met her demise. Luckily, after calling a towing service and having her hauled to a nearby mechanic, she was brought back to life (much to Justin's dismay...he really wants an old classic to fix up in his spare time. Oh wait - he doesn't HAVE any spare time! This fact leaves him undeterred. However, my condition for said beater car remains non-negotiable: he gets a car, I get a cat.). For the week we were without the Ol' girl I had to get the boys up at 6 a.m. to drive Justin to the bus stop and then pick him up in the evening. It was kind of humorous for me sitting in the car while waiting for the bus to come...I felt like his mom picking him up from school. And of course BOTH headlights went out on our other car the day after the Mustang died so I had to look like the idiot driver with her brights on (getting flashed by every other car) until Justin was able to replace the bulbs.
If bad luck happens in three's than I suppose the third and final book to this Trilogy of Transit Terror was when Jackson flushed my license (along with Eddison's binky) down the toilet. Yes...shockingly they both went down the pipe and luckily have not stopped anything up so far. I therefore spent last Wednesday in the DMV taking the necessary steps to get a replacement license and praying the whole time that they wouldn't make me retake the vision screening. I'll admit to you all right now - there's NO WAY in this lifetime that I'd pass that thing and the very fact that I passed it last time is a miracle in its own right. I'd happily wear my glasses if they hadn't found their way under Justin's feet. Don't worry - they're getting replaced asap. Needless to say I was not asked to repeat the test and I even walked out of there with a picture I actually like!
Onto my poor little guys who BOTH started teething last week. Jackson is currently getting his 2nd year molars and was so out of character that I was finally forced to call the pediatrician to ask if there was anything I could do to keep him from his constant temper tantrums (beyond the usual...I'm talking thrashing, boneless, wailing tantrums...He could have won an Oscar for any given performance last week!). At least...I was going to call the pediatrician until I found my phone resting peacefully in a glass of ice water. Jackson was quick to announce, "Uh-Oh, mama! A 'hello' in water!" Hmm...I wonder who put the 'hello' in the water? The good news is that after hours of letting the phone air-dry it seems to work OK, but doesn't hold a charge for very long anymore. It's been about seven or eight months since I've replaced this phone...I suppose that's a pretty good record with a live-in tropical storm running around the house. Meanwhile, Eddison chose to manage teething (by the way - still no teeth yet! But I suspect the bottom right will pop through first and soon!) with a fever and a request for extra cuddle time. :-) It was a welcome respite once Jackson was finally asleep!
While truly awful, teething was not the end of a list of maladies that my poor Jack-ster was faced with this past week. He managed to scrape the same knee two days in a row (I'm talking very bloody and messy kind of scrapes) - the first while "b-boarding" with daddy (skateboarding) and the second after he tripped while crossing parking lot in front of the pet store. (The latter also left him with a nice-sized scrape and bump on his forehead.) AND as if that weren't enough, the next day he was attacked by fire ants on his feet and ankles. He's such a little soldier that it really didn't seem to bother him too much, but his poor leggies looked terrible! Especially the next day when all the bites had turned into pus-pockets. (Gross, I know...Just another lovely gift from the south.)
This week seems to be going much better for the little Wilde boys...thankfully! I've kept busy through all of this doing more things than I'll remember to write about. I stocked the freezer with all kinds of homemade baby food purees for Eddison (peas, green beans, carrots, Lima beans, broccoli, cauliflower, fresh prunes, blueberries, melon, peaches, strawberries, pineapple) and Jackson (homemade chicken nuggets and turkey meatballs - both are way more healthy than the processed store brands and taste just as good if not better!). I'm working on a few great sewing projects - which I'll share when they're done! And I've also kept pretty preoccupied with learning how to take and edit my own photos. I found after Jackson was born that I absolutely love photography and have been hooked ever since. My latest project is taking/editing photos of Hucklebaby products for our new website - (which is currently being built! YAY!!! And of course Nellie and I will be including pictures of our own little 'Hucklebabies' so I've been getting plenty of pictures of them, too!) and I'm trying my best with what I've got to work with. I'd love a new Nikon D40x with lens! I told Justin it could count as my Christmas present for the next five years...:-) He's not biting, though (yet! ;-). (A couple of the pictures up top were taken by Nellie so I can't take the credit for the shot! Just the editing!:-)
I'm also getting ready for my upcoming GIRLS WEEKEND OUT!!! That's right - my friends Julie and Nellie and I are hitting the road and leaving the toddlers behind while we put the top down (figuratively, of course...Mommy's don't drive convertibles) and head down to Charleston, SC for three days. What are we going to do? We don't know and we don't care! All we know is that we won't be filling sippy cups, changing toddler diapers, watching Finding Nemo, or fishing items out of the toilet! Eddison and Nellie's new baby, Tyler, will be coming with us since they're still nursing, but we still expect a relaxing weekend since they're both such laid-back kids.
We are a little disappointed to be missing General Conference, though Justin is going to DVR it for us so we can all watch it when we get back. It'll be something to look forward to on the return trip home!
Justin is very excited about his 'all boys' weekend with Jackson and has been busy making plans of fun things to do. I'll admit I'm going to miss them both! I've never spent more than one night away from Jackson and that was while I was delivering Eddison. I know he'll be OK, but will I?! LOL!! :-) Other than that, Justin has been SO busy with work! I appreciate his hard work so much, but I hope things will settle for him soon as it's hard for him not to see the boys as much as he's used to. (Justin - when you read this...I LOVE YOU!)
I know there's much more I could find to write about, but I need to stop there for now! Love you all!
P.S. The Office is back! :-) (I know you watched it, Katie!!! :-)
Angela: [crying] Sprinkles never hurt a soul. God, in your infinite wisdom how can you do this? She wasn't ready, she had so much left to accomplish.
Dwight Schrute: Tis only a cat.
Angela: You never... you don't like them.
Dwight Schrute: Cats do not provide milk or wool or meat.

4 comments:

Train Gang said...

Hey Super Mom, email me your receipes for homemade chicken nuggets and turkey meatballs. I want those. You give Martha Stewart a run for her money.

Katie said...

I love your style of writing/reflecting Jessica...it keeps my interest and allows me to actually read whole paragraphs (I've got a bad habit of skimming)!

Keep those Wilde boys in check and please enjoy that weekend, I'm so jealous I might have actually turned green!

Beckie said...

What a week you had! I love the pic of Jackson and the little girl to cute. though he'll hate it when he's older!

Melanie said...

Wow..hang in there and enjoy this weekend. I love how when things are crazy and busy and "oh my gosh" that didn't just happen...at the end we're like, we LOVE our kids...we must be moms.