Monday, July 11, 2011

Jackson Paul: 6 years old

Making a wish...
06.19.05

I love how Justin is lighting the candles with a mini blow-torch. :) Since Jackson's birthday coincided with Father's Day this year and he was having his party the following weekend, I just made mudpie brownies instead of a big cake for dessert. But I still insisted that we sing to him and let him blow out some candles! :)

Is it just me or does this kid get more handsome every year?! :)

Dear Jackson,

Just a few short weeks ago you turned six years old - defying my every desire to keep you five forever. :) I can still remember the days and weeks that surrounded your birth with such clarity! Can it really have been six years ago that Daddy held you in the hospital when we had to return the week following your birth?


We were so new to the whole 'parenting' thing that we didn't even notice how orange you'd gotten. Would you believe that we actually thought your coloring was a combination of inheriting my skin tone and the darkness of our apartment (not to mention the reflection of the dark yellow walls)? Thank goodness the pediatrician at your one-week newborn well-check had the sense to test your bili count. :) We were learning, little bug. And oh, so very happy to have you! You brought a joy to our lives that we couldn't have imagined! We would spend hours just sitting on the couch with you - watching your every move and smiling over how cute everything you did was! A cough, a sneeze, even your little goosebumps that were so very tiny! You opened our eyes to what we had been missing - and we wondered why we had ever waited to start our family (even though it was only a few years) now knowing what we had been missing.

By the time you were six weeks old I was ready to start trying to get you a little brother or sister. And then on your very first birthday, I took a test that told us you were going to be a big brother! What a wonderful first birthday present! I remember telling you before I told Daddy (I knew you'd keep our secret safe! And besides - we announced it to him on your shirt so of course you had to know)! And while I was a little worried about a new baby taking away some of my time with you, I was so very excited to give you such a wonderful gift in having a sibling! At the time you were much more excited about the Hawaiian Luau themed birthday party we had for you:


Your 2nd birthday again came too quickly and we celebrated with a "Fish" themed party including real goldfish for your friends (I'm sure their parents loved it! ;). You just loved being around your friends and playing in the water toys we had set up outside:


Your third birthday was all about the bugs with a dirt dessert cake (complete with gummy worms and bugs!). While you didn't eat any of the cake (I think it looked to messy for you) - you did enjoy playing with a couple of your friends. We didn't have a big party that year, but we did take you to see Wall-E at the movie theater and we were so excited that you were finally old enough to sign up for ice hockey! You LOVED being outside and were (and still are!) so coordinated that we thought you'd really enjoy learning how to skate. We couldn't have been more wrong! (You're very good at showing us how little we know just when we think we've got things figured out. :) After two lessons (or should I say attempts?) we realized you just weren't interested and we weren't going to push you. I think we started to understand then that while you are very coordinated you are also much more cautious than, say, Eddie:


The big number 4 came with plans for a party - but we had to cancel when you (and then Eddie) came down with hand, foot and mouth disease! While you were assymptomatic except for a low-grade fever (your pediatrician actually picked up on it at your 4-year well-check!) - you were still contagious so your pediatrician strongly recommended that we cancel your party. It was so sad to call your friends' parents to tell them the news. And while you were sad, you took it in stride like you usually do - being such a laid-back and (most of the time) understanding kid. You were still so very excited about the big play structure we bought for your birthday and you helped keep Daddy company as he spent so many hours putting it together:


When it was time for you to turn 5 years old we decided to celebrate in style by taking a trip to the beach! You were made to be outdoors and both Daddy and I have some great memories from that trip! The joy you and Eddie (and Norah) found in the horrible hotel room we started at will be an experience I will never forget. It was so humbling to see what we saw as a horrible situation from your perspectives. Your little eyes only saw adventure and opportunity in that crusty and moldy room! You could sense our disappointment and frustration and, being an empathetic and observant little guy, you took my hand and showed me all of the things you thought I would love. "Look mom! It has a refrigerator! See?!" And, "Look mom! This is a nice place for cooking, right?" (At the newly tin-foiled stove top, lol.) It was enough to bring me to tears with your delight - it still does when I think about it! You are such and amazing little boy! (And luckily, Daddy found us a better room at a much nicer hotel though I would have had just as great of a time in a shoe-box as long as you were happy!)


So now you're six years old, Jackson Paul. You are my little side-kick and are such an amazing helper! I know for certain we could not have been more blessed to have you as our firstborn. Your little brothers and sister look up to you and while you argue with them (often) and have your tantrum moments, they are few and far between. I am continuously amazed by your knowledge and you keep me entertained with your constant questions, statements, stories and overall take on life and the world around you. You are so full of life and so loving, caring, inquisitive and enthusiastic! And yet despite your constant chatter and on the go personality, you always remember to be a gentleman by holding doors open for people, remembering your manners (my favorite is when we're crossing the street and you enthusiastically wave to any cars that have stopped to allow us to cross and shout sincerely, "THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!")

Wild Kratts is your current favorite television program on PBS - though you still love watching old episodes of The Crocodile Hunter and Jeff Corwin. You still have a great love for all animals, but your passion lies with reptiles, amphibians and bugs. I think Heavenly Father knew what he was doing by sending you to me because I love all of those things, too! (Except spiders. But we had a long talk about how it's okay for me to not like spiders because I acknowledge that they are important - I just don't like them in my house.)

You are always up for an adventure or nature walk, performing science experiments, reading from one of your many animal encyclopedias, and whatever else we do as a family. But like I mentioned earlier, you would be perfectly happy living outside for the rest of your life! At this time here are a few of your favorite things:

Favorites:

1. Food: Steak, nectarines, shrimp, watermelon, pineapple, apples, rice (you are a great healthy eater!)
2. Activity with the family: Camping!
3. Activity at home: Science experiments with Mommy, building inventions
4. Career Goal: To be one of the Wild Kratt brothers. I told him that he and Eddie could join forces with them and become the Wilde Kratt brothers! :)
5. Books I am currently reading out loud to them at bedtime: James and the Giant Peach and Eragon
6. Dessert: Chocolate ice cream
7. Favorite non-animal/nature themed shows: Beyblades and Sonic Underground (and he sings the theme songs to both! It's so funny! :)
8. Other activities you love: Swimming, playing with Riley, wrestling with Daddy, planning adventures and building forts with Eddie, jumping on the trampoline with Norah (and Eddie), entertaining Beckett, watching movies or shows on Net.flix, riding your bicycle, riding the skateboard with Daddy, playing baseball in the backyard with anyone who will play!, playing out in the cul-de-sac with other neighborhood kids, going to museums, parks, or anything outdoors!, and the list goes on! :)

As for your growth, my little Jack-Rabbit - your 6 year well check revealed the following:

Weight: 39 lbs (10%)
Height: 43.25" (10%)
BMI: 14.3

My wish for you this year Jack - is that you will continue to be the amazing little man that you are. I hope you will never lose your innocent look on the world around you and that you will always be genuine, curious and unafraid to ask questions! I also pray that when you are faced with trials you will remember that Heavenly Father is always there to listen to your prayers and that he can help you through anything - no matter how small it may seem! He cares about absolutely anything that you care about because He loves you, Jackson!

We all love you very much and are so grateful that you are a part of our eternal family!

Love,
Mommy, Daddy, Eddison, Eleanor and Beckett


No comments: