Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Room for Baby Girl...

It's finally finished!!! :) All I can say is that if this baby comes out a boy we are in serious trouble because there is absolutely zero chance that this room can be considered gender neutral! It's exactly what I'd hoped it would be when we started her nursery... Now it just needs a baby! :) To REALLY see the full effect (other than dropping by in person - which I'm totally okay with!) click on the pictures to enlarge them. It's particularly useful to see the patterns in the scrapbook paper on the wall which are what inspired the whole room. :) Happy viewing!

The art on the wall are just 12" x 12" wooden frames (without glass) that I painted white. The 'pictures' are the scrapbook pages I bought a couple of years ago hoping to use them someday as inspiration for a baby girl's nursery. :)


In this picture you can see the little fan/light fixture that Justin and I finally settled on. He wanted a chandelier, but I managed to talk him down a little bit. ;) (Up close it's actually very feminine / flowery looking.)

I wish I had a before picture of this dresser! Justin did an AMAZING job refinishing this awesome find on Craisglist. It's dove-tailed construction and was beautifully made in the 50's. The old gentleman that we bought it from was the original owner and we couldn't believe he threw in the mirror AND a nightstand (which Justin is still working on) for a total cost of $40! He even delivered it to us so we didn't have to rent a truck and refused to accept any gas money.

This is hanging right by the door when you enter the room. I wanted Baby Girl to be able to see her brothers while she's in her room. :) The dress (which I just adore!) I found at Carter's for $7.00! (And the boys picked out the little hanging toy for her car seat.) The coat-rack I bought unfinished at Michael's and just sanded and painted white.

I tried to get the best pictures I could of how everything looks together. The chair fabric accents the bedding so well and tones down the 'pinkness'. :)

I only actually made the pillows and crib skirt in this picture. We bought the plain pink bumper (made of minky fabric...SO soft!) and plain sheets separately since it was cheaper than trying to make them. The crib skirt was my first experience with constructing pleats. I think it turned out even better than I expected! :)

Recovering the chair/ottoman was also quite a bit easier than I expected. I just used the previous fabric (unpicked) as a guide and had the whole thing done in a few days. I also made the quilt a while ago, but was waiting for the official 'nursery' post to share how it turned out.
The appliqued birds on the pillow are inspired by the scrapbook paper which features the cute little birds within the patterns.

Being in the business of making burp cloths (among other things :) I couldn't wait to make a couple of sets for my own daughter! I still haven't made a sling for her, but will soon!

Just a different angle...

Some decorative throw pillows I made out of the scrap fabric from the bedding/valance.

If you enlarge this photo you can see the valance better... I love how it turned out with the tabs and wooden accent buttons!

Now all I need to finish and hang are the letters of her name, which I'm going to cover (mod-podge) with the remaining scrapbook papers I have that match the ones on the wall. First we need a name so I can buy the letters, though! ;) It will be a fun project after she's born and Justin's home on paternity leave to keep the boys away from the mod-podge. :)

So - my question for those of you who made it thus far.... Does it look more like an 'Eleanor/Norah' room or an 'Isabelle' room? :)

13 comments:

Erin said...

beautiful!! you did a great job on everything. i can't wait to see it in person.

I vote for Norah!!

Lindsey said...

Jessi- It is so pretty. Totally girl! I am so excited for you. You are going to love having a little girl. My vote is for Norah!

Molly said...

Love it! Eleanor all the way!

Audrey said...

I'm an Isabelle fan, looks like I stand alone, thus far.... Great job on the nursery:0) girls are so fun

Tiffanyrose said...

Norah definetly!! I love it and am completely envious that mine is not done yet!

Beckie said...

BEAUTIFUL!! You guys did a great job. I'm going to second the Isabelle.

merathon said...

i am also partial to eleanor just cuz it's not as common as isabelle, but either one would be cute. the room turned out fabulous-- she has no idea what a lucky little girl she is! i think it's hilarious that it was JUSTIN who wanted the chandelier and you had to talk him down from it!

Julie Nielsen said...

Jessica....everything looks beautiful! You have inspired me to do some projects for my next baby. My vote is for Norah!

Mommy Weiss said...

it is beautiful. she's definitely going to sleep well in there :) you did an awesome job!! i hope you are feeling well. I like Norah too :)

Ashlee said...

This is amazing. It makes me wish we lived closer so you can teach me all your tricks. I really want to learn how to re-cover my chair... for the baby girl. Baby blue just won't cut it. Eveything is so cute Jess. You did such a fantastic job on it all! What a creative little mind you have. She's gonna love it...

Melanie said...

A-MAZING!!! I love every inch of it and every fabric. So feminine and adorable. And I have to vote Eleanor...love it!!!!

ajjdnndm'smom said...

That is SOOOO cute - you have skills!!
I vote for Norah!!

Katie said...

Oh Jess, it turned out beautifully! Of course I knew it would with your crazy talent ;)

I love the pillows in the crib especially!

I cannot wait for 'Norah' to get here!

p.s. I just picked Lila & Lucy's bedding if you want to check it out---very much the opposite of what I had for Lila's super girly nursery! www.thesummerchronicles.wordpress.com