Yesterday at 4:30 a.m. Justin and I woke up, showered, got a very sleepy Eddie up, and, after a special Priesthood Blessing by Daddy, headed to the surgery center in Charlotte. Though the surgery wasn't to begin until 7 a.m. we had to be there by 5:30 a.m. to go over everything with the pre/post-op nurses, the doctor, and the anesthesiologist. They were all very nice and Eddie was happy to be up and playing with all of the fun toys until it was time to put him in the hospital gown. He absolutely did NOT like it! :) (Maybe because he's all boy and it feels too much like a dress?) He was slightly appeased when the nurse brought him his very own teddy bear which he proceeded to kiss and share his binky with (albeit forcefully at times :).
Around 6:30 he was given a small dose of medication (similar to Valium) to make him relaxed. He became very sleepy and was completely compliant when the OR nurse came to take him back with his binky and blanket. (Though he did give both Justin and me kisses first. :)
Not even an hour later the procedures were done and the doctor let us know that everything went great! We were brought into a recovery room to see him about twenty minutes later and this was by far the hardest part of the whole process. For the surgery he was not only given the original 'Valium' and then the 'gas' and I.V. anesthetics, but he also had the equivalent of an epidural so he was unable to move from the waist down for a few hours. All of this combined made it impossible for him to wake up from the anesthesia so he just cried in his sleep while I held him for about 45 minutes. A nurse finally came in and gave him a shot of a narcotic just to put him completely out so his little body could rest and have more time to shake off the anesthesia. Apparently some kids just react to the drugs more than others. After another forty minutes or so he was finally able to open his eyes and was much more calm. When he could show the nurse that he was drinking from his sippy she took out the I.V. and we were given the all clear to take our little warrior home! We knew he was fine when she handed him some Sesame Street stickers and he said his first post-op word, "Elmo?"
He should be back to normal in a week or so and the pain medications are doing their job at keeping him comfortable. His incisions also seem to be doing well and we're so glad everything has been taken care of! While we hate seeing him this way, Justin and I have both been loving how cuddly Eddie has been! He wants nothing but to be held and we are definitely more than willing! :)
Thank you for all of your prayers!
7 comments:
Awww.. Little Eddie! I am glad it's over and done with. It's never easy to see your "baby" that way. Glad it all went well!
Oh Jess, I totally thought of you all day. I know exactly how it feels to have your little one come out of Anesthesia and I can totally relate. So glad that he is doing so well. Let me know if you need ANYTHING!
glad to hear it went well and that it's behind him now! what a sweetie!
It is the BEST when all they want is for you to hold them and snuggle!! Kids bounce back so fast....he will be up and running before you know it!!
I am so glad it wasn't tramatic for him.....or for mom and dad!!
So happy all went well!
I remember after Jakie's similar surgery he was not at all pleased with us...I can only imagine!
Oh man, I love to hear that everything went great! I love the pictures of the binkie! After Abbie had her little hernia fixed, she wouldn't let me out of her sight! I have to admit, I loved it ;)
This was very scary! but he's such a champ. glad he has 3 people that love him to take care of him.
Post a Comment