Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Oh, Eddie...



Monday morning I was determined to make it to the gym. Last week was crazy busy and I was unable to go even once to work-out! I had a host of reasons why I shouldn't go that morning - it was raining pretty hard, Jackson was cranky and didn't want to go, I had a ton of other things to get done...but I dismissed them all because I was DETERMINED to stop making excuses! I get cranky when I'm unable to exercise which was why I bought a gym membership in the first place! So I could go anytime and not have to worry about Justin being home to watch the boys so I could go running.

I should have listened to Jack.

You know something bad has happened when the child-care worker at the gym comes up to you ten minutes into your work-out and says:

"Umm...Your little one was running and, like, he fell on his head and when I picked him up it was so bad I couldn't even look at it!"

(Seriously...Did she REALLY phrase it like that?! Obviously she DOESN'T have children of her own!)

So I raced to the child-care room and Eddie was being held by another worker and had ice being applied to his head by yet another worker... They were all hovering and just incredulous because he apparently didn't cry at all... (Have they SEEN his older brother?! Eddison has been trained by the best of them on how to 'shake it off'!) They explained what happened (he ran, he tripped, he landed on his head...duh) while I took Eddie and looked at the damage. He had a definite angry looking, goose-egg sized lump on the left (his left) side of his head, but he was happy to see me and was acting fine. Nevertheless, after signing the 'incident report' I decided to take him home and get him some Motrin to help with the swelling.

On the way home I called Eddie's neurologist - who has repeatedly instructed that we notify him of any injuries to the head - to inform him of the incident. I figured it just a precautionary measure to keep him informed, but didn't know he would send us straight to the ER! So I dropped Jackson off at a friend's house and Eddison and I headed to the hospital.

To my delight *insert sarcasm here* it was raining SO HARD I couldn't see! I was going around 20 mph in a 45 mph zone and turned on the radio for the weather report only to hear: "Severe Tornado Warning. Seek shelter immediately. If you are home get to the central part of your house..."


Sweet.

MANY prayers later (or maybe just one, long, continuous one) - we arrived at our destination.

Eddison ended up having a CT scan done to check for bleeding. With his condition (BEH - Benign External Hydrocephalus) he has a much greater risk for hemorrhaging after hard hits. As he grows out of this condition over the next couple of years the risk will go down, but until then we have to be mindful of how many crazy stunts we allow him to perform. So far we've been lucky - especially considering he has little to no self-preservation instinct. ;-) Luckily the CT results revealed only swelling and NO bleeding!

With these boys I can only imagine this is the first of many trips to the emergency room. I just pray they all have such happy endings! :-)

8 comments:

Sheen Family said...

that was your first trip to the er?! i'm impressed - just you wait (i guess we've only had a couple trips)! and thank goodness he's ok. he looks way too cute and happy in that little hospital gown!

The Shawcrofts said...

HAHA! That child care worker's comment had me rolling on the floor! I am glad Eddie is ok. And I'm glad you didn't get carried away in a tornado!

Jennie said...

The really scary part is that all of the childcare workers there except the guy have kids. The blond has a little boy, the one that has a hard time speaking English has a little boy, and the other girl I have only seen once(who was roughing up her own boys in the childcare room) has two little boys. I can't imagine any of them would want to be approached and told that about their child.

When I first went there I was a little worried about leaving Catherine because the only two workers were the one the doesn't understand or speak English very well and the one that is deaf. I thought come on, how does this work. Now I see it as an opportunity for Catherine to learn new languages.

Train Gang said...

wow! i'm happy things worked out. but sorry you had to go to the ER :( that worker's comment sounds like something a 15 year old would say!

Beckie said...

I'm glad Eddison's ok! The joy of having boys huh ;)!

Erin said...

poor eddie. what a trooper. i am glad that he is okay. my, that hospital gown looks all too familiar...

jessie said...

Erin,
I know!!! I read your blog a while back and couldn't believe what had happened to poor Sutton!! Luckily Eddie escaped his fall without a skull fracture!:-) I hope she's doing much better!!! :)

ajjdnndm'smom said...

I have never seen a baby look SO CUTE in a hospital gown!!!!
Glad he is okay!!!