Thursday, February 17, 2011

No Rain Required

Last year - or maybe the year before, I saw a link posted somewhere about using rain gutters as bookshelves. It was one of those Eureka! moments for me... What a great idea!!! However, time lapsed and I'd forgotten all about them until recently. Inspired again by the images I found online, I was determined to give it a shot and wrote down the supply list. I dropped Jack, Eddie and Norah off at Nellie's and then headed to Lowe's with my little side-kick, Beckett. The supply list was quite short: a hacksaw, a 10 ft. piece of vinyl rain-gutter, and drywall anchors for the screws. Supplies in tow we headed home (stopping only at Nellie's to borrow their drill).

The most time consuming part of this project was measuring the wall to make sure everything was even. Other than that - it was SO easy! And I love how they turned out! :) I may just have to add some to the kids' room upstairs... How cute would these be up higher as storage for stuffed animals?! (The 'tray' part is actually quite wide... About 4" at it's narrowest so average sized stuffed animals would fit easily.)



We've had such beautiful weather here for the past few days! I'm only slightly sorry to admit that my household chores have subsequently been neglected as playing outside with these three adorable kiddos has taken priority. :) "Make play while the sun shines," right? ;)

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I LOVE this idea for bookshelves. Montanna is so into reading books that books scatter our house more often than I would like. Bookshelves like this would make it easier for her to put away and I could rotate the books so we wouldn't be reading the same ones over and over and over again. As soon as we are in a more permanent place, I am going to do this same thing.

I love the way your white gutter looks with your white trim. It finished out the room so well. I also love your choice of books. Montanna loves No, David! Thanks for the idea!