Last week for FHE it was Daddy's turn to come up with an activity. When he said "prayer rocks" I thought about the small, round, and smooth "decorative" rocks that I bought when I did a similar activity for the Young Women last year and thought it was a great idea to try with the boys. But Justin had a different vision in mind ... After we had done our song, prayer, scripture, and lesson - Just opened the back door and said, "Okay guys - we're going to make prayer rocks for you to keep on your pillow so you remember to say your prayers before you go to bed! Now go find a rock to decorate!" The boys eagerly ran outside and began searching and Justin went out to ensure their expedient success.
When they came back in the house each of my little monster's had not a small and smooth rock, but a fist-sized jagged rock covered in Carolina clay. Knowing exactly where this was leading I just smiled and stepped back and told Justin, "This is your activity! Have fun. :)" So from a comfy seat on the couch I directed him to where the paint was (the paint was HIS idea!) and then watched as he oversaw the cleaning/painting of the boys' rocks. It ended up being much less messy than I anticipated - especially considering Eddie with a paintbrush - and the rocks were set out on the counter to dry overnight.
When Jackson was home from preschool the next day, I dug out some craft odd and ends and let the boys pick how they wanted to decorate their painted prayer rocks. Each decided that a prayer rock just isn't a prayer rock without some fuzzy balls (that sounds bad, doesn't it?) and a googly eye or two. Using a hot glue gun I stuck the accessories where they had instructed and this was the final result:
Jackson's is on the left, Eddison's the right. Now - who ISN'T going to remember to say their prayers when they knock their head against these little monster rocks?! :) I have to admit that I am a little fearful that in the heat of an argument one of the boys will throw their prayer rock at the other and knock them out cold. (I can imagine myself explaining that to the ER doctor now, lol...)
****************************
Let's go fly a kite... On Saturday we took the kids to a nearby neighborhood for their annual Kite Festival! The weather was absolutely GORGEOUS at 75 degrees and there was not a cloud in the sky. We met some friends while we were there and the kids enjoyed bouncing in a bounce house, riding a train, eating snow cones, and watching all of the many kites.
That's right - RED cherry snow cones. Eddie looked like he was hemorrhaging from the mouth for a good thirty minutes. But he loved (and was clearly possessive of) every last bite so I just smiled and kept wiping (a losing battle) the drips with a diaper wipe. :)
Look at that sky!!! What a perfect first day to Spring!
Yep - it was definite t-shirt weather!
Eddie, Jack, and Riley getting ready for their train ride.
Eleanor's little piggies... I love how they curl!
Norah was one happy clam walking around the park and chasing after dogs. :)
The beautiful day had everyone in a great mood! :)
WELCOME SPRING!!!
2 comments:
WHOOPS! Had to specify a little detail in my original comment...LOL....
Just can't even describe how fascinating your life of motherhood is to a single gal like me! Seriously!!! I love your updates and love -LOVE- your pix! Honestly, I hope and pray that someday I can be half the wonderful mother that you are Jess. You're amazing!! Also, CONGRATS on cutie #4! Thanks for all you share. Hope you're all feeling better now :-)
Ok, so this really has nothing to do with your post eventhough it is SUPER cute and i can't even believe how much hair Norah has, but the little baby ticker at the top that says, "will we have a hot dog or a cheeseburger"?! GOO!!! If my ultrasound tech tells me that the baby has a "cheeseburger" I am going vomit!
Post a Comment