Anyone remember that song by the Spin Doctor's?! LOL! I think that was my older sister's very first CD - a Christmas present I believe... (And for anyone who cares - I was given my very first CD at the same time: Soul Asylum (you all remember Runaway Train, right?!)
Anyway - inspired by the imminent arrival of not one, but two baby boys (one who has since made his debut... Congrats Gifford Family!), and one who is scheduled to arrive in just 12 short days (Come on, baby Burgess! Less is more - you want to come now, don't you?!), I found myself traveling to Hobby Lobby and Mary Jo's determined (though not too hopeful) to find some cute 'boy' fabric. As many of you who like to sew (specifically for babies and children) know, there is generally a HUGE deficit in adorable fabrics for boys. (Especially if you're married to someone like me who adamantly refuses that ANYTHING floral can be considered 'boy-ish' - even if it is blue/brown.)
So imagine my surprise when I not only found one or two really cute fabrics, but SEVERAL adorable patterns! Seriously, I struck the mother-load and even contemplated stocking up in case my little sister's newest baby happens to be a boy. I've already posted about toy storage and food storage - I can't deny the importance of fabric storage, too, right?! :)
Anyway - here's what became of those cute fabrics:
For baby Tom (such a cute grown-up name for a baby boy! :) I made a set of burp cloths with a soft (and absorbent, lol) terry-cloth backing. I hope he's not a spitter, but if he is - at least his mommy can be prepared in style, right?! :)
And for baby Burgess - a long-awaited quilt. His lovely mommy is one of the most talented seamstresses I know and I've been on the receiving end of her talents more times than I can count... So it was about time I returned the favor. :) The top is just simple strips of five different fabrics in varying sizes (2", 2.5", 3", and 4" strips).
One of the fabrics in the quilt has an owl pattern on it so I decided a couple of cute applique owls would be pretty stinkin' cute. It's hard to tell from the picture, but the polka-dot fabric is a soft corduroy and the red is soft flannel.
The quilt is backed with green chenille (there's also a layer of organic batting between the top and back). After pinning all three layers together I just quilted the seams of each strip. Easy-peasy! To finish I made the binding out of the owl-themed fabric (to tie in the whole owl theme). It was so much fun to make! I hope the little prince loves it! :)
7 comments:
Ohh, I think you just made my ovaries scream, "We want a boy!"
beautiful work Jess!
The quilt is amazing! I love it. You are so talented.
Super CUTE Jess- I'm inspired to try to make a quilt like that for someone... maybe libs? Since I still haven't made her one thing! I love it! And it seems pretty easy too. Thats what I'm all about when it comes to sewing. Great job, I just love it! Headed to the fabric store in the morning....
The burp cloths are super cute and super functional. They are being used every day many times a day. Thanks so much for sharing your amazing talents with me. Tom thanks you too!!!
that is so cute!!! i love it, and yes, two princes i remember vividly. AND runaway train...ugh, i still cannot stand that song!!! I will definatley be excited if we are having a boy juSt for that material!!!
so no ovaries screaming or burp cloths being used here, but i still had to comment. "two princes" is one of my FAVORITE songs ever! of course i remember it! "just go ahead now!" im listening to it now in fact.
and, to comment on a previous post, 1982 was a smokin' awesome year to be born! so yeah, i totally appreciated that post as well.
love the owls!
P.S. Soul Asylum totally rocked.
Post a Comment