INTRODUCING...

Another Little Wilde!
Due to arrive on: September 14, 2010
Well, today I am 13 weeks pregnant and we've officially waited the absolute longest that we've ever waited to announce our big news! Why? Well, mostly because we've previously told the world as soon as we got the second line on the pregnancy test and consequently the pregnancies seemed to last forever! We've noticed, however, that when friends announced their pregnancies later on it always seemed that said pregnancies went much more quickly and we wanted in on that action. So far I feel it really has gone by more quickly - though I'm not sure that waiting to tell people had anything to do with it - rather, I think daily life with three kids has done an adequate enough job at making the time disappear. :)
So the details (as I remember them): I got my first positive pregnancy test on New Year's Day. (Happy New Year! :) Overjoyed and in disbelief (because I was certain that cycle was going to be another bust) I started plotting how to tell Justin. Being baby #4 (holy cow!) I was running out of creative ideas to share the news :). I finally decided that I would hold off until my first ultrasound and then surprise Justin with an ultrasound photo. As those of you who have been/are pregnant know - the first ultrasound isn't done until around 6 wks. - which meant I had to wait almost three weeks! It was VERY difficult not to spill the beans, but I had the end result in my head and somehow made it to the appointment. Unfortunately, the first ultrasound revealed only a gestational sac... No baby. No heartbeat. Obviously this was not how I envisioned things going, but I knew that it was still early and a lot could develop in a week. So I was scheduled for another ultrasound and was very tempted to tell Justin everything since it was an emotionally difficult week not knowing what was the outcome would be, but I refused to choose doom and gloom and let it ruin my surprise - so I waited.
I did alter my plan a little, though. I had Justin come to the appointment with me - only I told him it was for a routine monitoring appointment (which he completely believed since I had been going to these types of appts. for months). When I was called back I told Justin I'd have the nurse come get him when it was okay for him to come back and then I quickly headed-off the ultra-sonographer in the hall and told her I was hoping to surprise him. She was totally on board with my plan! So she went and brought him back and turned the screen towards her and started doing measurements. After a few minutes I started getting very nervous that she wasn't able to find anything and that there really was no baby. Finally, however, she turned up the volume and the sound of a heartbeat filled the room. Justin casually asked me, "Is that your heartbeat?" And I answered, "No."
Then the ultrasound tech turned the screen towards him and said, "Do you know what that is?" And he looked for a minute - then looked at me very confused and said,
"Is that... a BABY?!"
I started laughing (mostly out of relief because I was, of course, hoping for the best, but imaging the worst at that point) and said, "YES! And I've known for weeks and have been dying to tell you!"
Then Justin started laughing and said it was the best way I've told him (so far). :) The ultrasound tech then proceeded to tell us that everything looked great and the baby looked just as it should (which was like a little blob with a heartbeat).
The above ultrasound photo was from our NT test done about 1.5 weeks ago. Everything measured right on target and my blood-work came back perfectly. We are now eagerly awaiting our big anatomy ultrasound on April 7th - where hopefully the baby will cooperate and we'll know if Norah will be getting a little brother or a little sister! Be sure to cast your vote :).
For anyone who puts stock into old wives' tales:
Cravings: Nothing continuously, but mostly fruit
Aversions: Everything else (getting much better, though)
Nausea/Vomiting: Check and Double Check (though finally easing up this past week!)
Heartburn: No
Indigestion (and it's sidekick constipation): With a vengeance
Headaches: Killer (first pregnancy to have this lovely side-effect!)
Jackson's guess: "A baby boy. No, I tink maybe it's a baby girl. Yes, it's another baby girl. At first I was tinking two boys and a girl, but your tummy is still small so I tink it's just one baby."
Eddison's guess: "There's a girl in there... Meow!" (Apparently I'm having a kitten?)
17 comments:
WOW! Congrats! You must be tight lipped. I always have the hardest time not sharing the news. I hope your trick worked and the pregnancy goes quickly!
The BEST way to tell Justin! I might have to copy it some day. I am so excited for you guys! I would have never been able to not tell the secret. Good Job!
Holy Cow! I'm surprised to hear the news, but very happy for you guys. Good luck with the pregnancy!
I am so excited for you! How wonderful! We've been trying for 5 cycles now without any luck, so hopefully soon - especially considering it's only ever taken one attempt in the past. Hey, are you on Facebook? I haven't been able to find you there. I'm still convinced that we'll meet one day, you know!!!! You can find me at mommasnest (at) gmail (dot) com. Congratulations!
i was definitely not expecting this news, but i guess i should have been considering you want like 10 kids! and i think this is the time for you to try something new and NOT find out the sex of the baby! you already have all the girl and boy stuff, so you can't give me the excuse that you need to prepare! trust me-- it is the most fun surprise EVER!
Meredith - LOL! Yes, in theory ten would be fun, but I'm about 100% positive we'll be done at 5. MAYBE, just maybe I'll talk Justin into a 6th, but he's pretty set on five. :) And I think a surprise would be fun! It's just SO hard to not find out! I've already got two different colors of paint picked for the nursery and boy fabric and girl fabric picked and ready to buy to make the bedding/curtains :). So I think it's pretty safe to say we'll be finding out, lol.. BUT - I am determined to try the 'surprise' thing at some point and if we're done at five than I guess the next baby will have to be our question-mark. ;)
patrick tried to talk me into a fourth. . . it didn't work!
you don't reuse bedding? don't you already have ADORABLE boy AND girl bedding to use? i think you're just making excuses now!
Cutest "blob" I've ever seen!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!! this will be really hard to top telling Justin on your next baby. that was so fun! I read above that you said you will have 5 kids...I don't think you would be able to stop at 5!!!!!!!!! You are too good at this mom stuff.
we are SO excited for you!!!!!!!!!
I don't know how on earth you made it through that week wondering and waiting! I bet Justin's reaction made it worth every second!
Congrats!!!!!!
Congrats! Your sounding like me and I think I'm having a girl so I'm going with girl!
You are way stronger then me, I broke down and told hubby the day I found out cuz I was so excited.
LOL! Eddison's guess is the best! I seriously am still laughing!
I am so excited for you and can't wait to hear if its a boy or girl! I had originally guesses twin boys, but since the twin part turned out not true I'm going to have to revamp my whole guess and go with girl. That's my official stance now. And if it is a girl, she, Norah and Esmae can all be best friends when we live next to each other on the Oregon coast.
Great job on keeping it a secret. I don't think I could ever do that. Such a cute idea! I bet he just loved it! Congrats! This is just super exciting! I can't believe you're already 13 weeks. It will go by so fast I'm sure....most days! Can't wait till April, and we get to hear what the newest addition will be!
Congratulations! I am so excited for you! I hope you have been feeling alright. I know how exhausting pregnancy can be when you have other little ones to look after as well. New little babies are the best. We are loving our new little Eden. It is fun when you announce a little bit later because then we don't have to wait as long to find out if it will be a boy or a girl. I love the way you told Justin. I don't think I could wait that long to tell my husband!
Wow! who knew you were so sneaky. Congratulations, Let me know if you need anything, maybe a freezer meal for the night that you're just too tired to cook.
Congratulations! How close are your and your sister's due dates? That's awesome :)
I am impressed. Goin' for the 4 is serious buisness. At least that is what it is feeling like 8 weeks from our 3rd!! Congrats and can't wait to find out what is next for the Wildes.
Congratulations!!!! Not telling Justin is seriously impressive. Great story. :)
p.s. your rock monsters are ADORABLE!
Post a Comment