Sunday, September 20, 2009

Why I was wrong (just a little) about UFC

Justin loves watching and/or reading anything about UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship).  I could not - and I emphasize COULD NOT - dislike it more because of the amount of unnecessary violence associated with the sport.  However, for some reason a small disagreement arose between Justin and I concerning what is and what is not allowed in the UFC's infamous 'no holds barred' fighting style.  To finally settle the dispute I googled the official regulations and discovered that our own house rules are eerily similar to those of the UFC:

The following acts are universally considered fouls (or in our case, time-outs) in the mixed martial arts world (and the Wilde House):

* Headbutting
* Eye gouging
* Hair pulling
* Biting
* Fish-hooking
* Attacking the groin
* Strikes to the back of he head and spinal area
* Strikes to, or grabs of the trachea
* Small joint manipulation (control of three or more fingers/toes is necessary)
* Intentionally throwing your opponent out of the ring/cage (or bunkbed...as the case may be...)
* Grabbing or putting a hand inside the trunks or gloves of the opponent 

Yep... I'm convinced the mother's of the original UFC fighters assembled and were responsible for compiling the aforementioned list to protect their sons from killing each other in a testosterone induced rage.  I still can't stand the sport, but as a mother of boys who love to wrestle I can at least respect that we have a similar standard in safety. :)
 

1 comment:

The Shawcrofts said...

HAhaha, that is too funny!