Thursday, April 23, 2009

"I'm bringing home a baby bumblebee..."

For Easter this year, Justin got the surprise of the century when I loaded a (new) litter-box with Easter grass, chocolate, and cat accessories.  While he knew I had done something special for his Easter gift, he had absolutely no idea that I had adopted a kitten.  In fact, his exact words were, "I thought you were going to tell me you were pregnant or something!"

After almost 6.5 years of marriage I finally came to the conclusion that Justin was always going to say the same thing about getting a pet, "Maybe next year..."  So I figured if I just brought one home, he would immediately fall in love with it and/or learn to live with it.  I'm happy to report that while he's not yet fallen in love with the cat, he has been trying to warm up to him and has even taken it upon himself to help keep his litter-box clean.  (It's cleaned out twice a day and so far so good!)  

We adopted six-week old Bumblebee (named by Jackson, of course!) from the Humane Society of Charlotte.  I chose him because he was pretty laid back in the kitten room and because he's all black.  Since there are so many 'prettier' kitties up for adoption, the black kittens have a lower chance of finding homes.  We couldn't have asked for a better kitty!  He has yet to scratch or bite anyone and loves to be cuddled.  He's had a few baths so far (only most of which were intentional... The others were Eddie wanting Bumblebee to join him in the bathtub at bath time.  We are happy to report that he can swim. :) and doesn't even seem to mind the water that much.     

It feels good to have a pet again.  I grew up with all sorts of pets (cats, dog, rats, gerbils, hamsters, ferrets, birds, turtles, lizards) and want our children to experience that same bond with and respect for animals.  So long as I can prove to Justin that it is possible to have a sanitary home and have animals, I think we'll be looking at a happy and pet-filled (within reason) future. :)
  
Our Baby Bumblebee
(He now wears a yellow collar which makes him look more like a little bumblebee.  Thank you again for finding one, Tiffany!)

7 comments:

Beckie said...

what a cutie! Can't wait to see pics of him and his new collar!
BTW Nathan thinks the name is super cool and wants to change our kitty's name to bumblebee too~thanks lol!

kell-bell said...

Oh your little bumble bee is so cute!

The Shawcrofts said...

What a cute kitten! I'm so glad you finally have a pet! I'm sure the boys will grow to love animals.

Molly said...

We just adopted a cat too! He's a young adult- 2 years probably- and absolutely delightful! I seem to be allergic, but we're hoping I can live with it.
Bumblebee is very cute! I've been meaning to blog about Graham, so check in for that.

Train Gang said...

Robb and I love your Bumblebee! The easter basket with cat toys is hilarious. I'm sure robb would have thought the same thing too. It is funny thinking of Justin as a cat owner!! (and cleaning the litter box!!!) good pick, he is so cute.

Jenny said...

If Bumblebee needs a friend, I still have that other cat you can have!

Also, great job today! And I don't think you look like a youth speaker. The real reason I cut my hair...I was sick of getting told I looked like one of my students.

Unknown said...

So cute! I never have wanted to have a cat but those kittens just melt my heart! Congrats and good luck! The cat swimming is quite funny. I am sure you will have loads of stories for us soon about that cat, and your boys. I can't wait!