RECIPE #1
Breakfast is one of the hardest meals to get my boys to eat...which irritates me because it's the most important meal of the day!!! I've had to become increasingly creative with my attempts and ended up perfecting a keeper a couple of months ago that I've been meaning to blog about! Maybe it will help any other Mommies of non-breakfast eaters! LOL!! :)
I call them 'Surprise Cakes' because once cooked they look like a mini muffin, but are really mini hollow pancakes! The filling (whether it's berries or chocolate chips) sinks during baking and is therefore in the hollowed out area like a little surprise! (see picture)
Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp. salt
Combine ingredients until batter is no longer lumpy. It will be very watery! Spray mini-muffin pan cups with non-stick cooking spray. Fill cups 3/4 full. (This recipe will make exactly one pan - or - 24 mini cakes)
'Surprise' Filling:
Chocolate Chips (I use three chips per cake)
Huckleberries
Raspberries
Blueberries
(really any fruit your child likes would be good!)
warmed marmalade to drizzle over the top
Drop desired filling into each cup BEFORE baking!
Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes
Sift powdered sugar over the top to make them look more appealing
*You could also try serving with syrup and whipped cream (my boys won't eat either of those things, but I think it's good!)
RECIPE #2
A few weeks ago Justin's mom emailed me a FANTASTIC recipe for Sweet Pork with Green Sauce. I've made it twice for different company in the past few weeks because it's just SO tasty! Luckily pork recently went on sale at our local grocery for 50% off. Additionally, I shop the meat department just before the store closes because all of the meat that has reached its 'sell by' date is discounted even more for quick sale. I just freeze whatever I buy immediately to ensure it doesn't go bad. Consequently I was able to score THREE 4+ lb. pork loins for under $15 - total!Anyway - here's the recipe! (My variations are in GREEN)
PORK ROAST WITH GREEN SAUCE
1 pork roast (trimmed of fat as much as possible)
2 cups salsa
2 cups brown sugar
Combine above ingredients in crock pot; cook for 8-10 hours on low or 6-8 hours on high.
GREEN SAUCE:
1 1/3 cup sour cream (low-fat/fat-free sour cream)
¾ cup mayonnaise (light mayo)
1 small bunch fresh cilantro
1 pkg. dry ranch dressing
1-2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
1-2 dashes tobasco (opt.)
4 Tbsp salsa verde
1 lime, juiced
Combine all ingredients in blender & blend.
ADDITIONAL TOPPINGS/SIDES:
Rice, prepared any way you choose
Tortillas, soft (small tortillas are easier to assemble/hold)
Cheddar cheese, grated
Black beans
Tomatoes, diced
Lettuce, chopped (I use cabbage instead to add extra 'crunch' / better flavor)
Lime/Lemon to squeeze over the top
An hour before serving, take roast out and shred with fork and knife. Put it back and heat until serving time. Wrap rice, pork and other ingredients in tortilla. Put green sauce on last and roll up tortilla.
*This recipe can be served over salad, too! Just omit the tortillas, put pork over lettuce and drizzle sauce over the top.
6 comments:
yum! both of those recipes sound really good. can't wait to try them. thanks!
Thanks for the recipes! I always am looking for new ones. By the way I got a BFP on my OK
Tiffany - WOO HOO!!! I know what you'll be up to this weekend! LOL!! :) I'm sending lots of prayers your way!
yummy! can't wait to try those recipes :0)
Breakfast surprise- Can't wait to try it. My kids will eat most anything for breakfast, but cold cereal is what they usually get.
I am totally trying the breakfast recipe---YUM!
Post a Comment