Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Price Is Right Challenge!

(click on the picture to enlarge if necessary)
(My little helper)

The challenge: Take a look at the following list and comment on about how much you think this would cost (total) at your usual shopping stomping grounds. I'm interested to see the price differences among all of our friends/family throughout the United States! (When commenting please include which state you're representing for comparison.)
Later I will share how much I actually spent on everything. (We're hoping this may entice some of our faraway friends and family to move a little closer...;-)

(*Please note that this is not a ususal shopping trip for me! LOL!!! I've been working at building our food storage which is why you'll see things like '24 cans of Vegetarian Vegetable Soup' and 'Instant Dry Milk'. Oh - and the 'Kids Camping Chairs', too...Jack and Eddie needed them and I couldn't pass them up! :)

Ok! Ready...Get Set...GO!!!

Shredded Colby-Jack Cheese - 1 lb. ea. (3 bags)
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese - 1 lb. ea. (1 bag)
3 pk. pepper assortment (green, yellow, orange)
Lipton Onion Soup Mix boxes (3 boxes with 2 packets in each box)
Honey Wheat Crackers (Box)
Mushrooms (package, whole)
Celery
Canned Pork & Beans (12 ct.)
Canned Green Beans (24 ct.)
Canned Kidney Beans (12 ct.)
Canned Chili Beans (12 ct.)
Canned Vegetarian Vegetable Soup (24 ct.)

Sweet Onions (7 in bag)
Cauliflower
Turkey Bacon
Box of Light Butter Popcorn
Box of Instant Dry Milk (makes 40 quarts. - Food Storage Item)
3 lb. Long Grain Rice
Garlic & Herb Marinade
Corn Tortillas (36 ct.)
Canned Mandarin Oranges (11 oz.) (2)
Italian Dressing (2 bottles)
All Purpose Flour (5 lbs.)
Sour Cream (2 containers)
Lemon Herb Marinade
2 lb. Turkey Ham
Olive Oil (16.9 fl. oz.)
Chocolate Pudding (3 boxes.)
Baking Soda
Ketchup
Yellow Cake Mix
Devils Food Cake Mix
Fudge Brownie Mix
Pretzel Sticks (1 large bag)
Canned Fat-Free Refried Beans (3 ct.)
Raisins (6 boxes in each pack) (2 packs)
Salsa (24 oz.) (3 jars)
Canned Mushrooms (6.5 oz.)(3 ct.)
Flavored Water (1 liter)
Crystal Light Mix
Canned Large Pitted Olives (1 ct.)
Yellow Mustard
Spicy Brown Mustard
Artichoke Hearts (1 jar)
Vegetable Oil (48 fl. oz.)
Bag of Idared Apples (about 10 apples)
Bunch of Bananas
Italian Turkey Sausage (1.25 lbs.)
String Cheese Package (20 ct)
Package of Pepperoni (128 ct)
Kitchen Sponges (2)
Kids Camping Chairs (2)


*(NC friends - you have the unfair advantage of knowing where I shopped! ;-)



10 comments:

Katie said...

Oh, I SO know where you shopped! I love it =)

Audrey said...

I love ---- :0) the produce is always great too!

Tiffanyrose said...

I am guessing Aldi's

Anonymous said...

Okay so if I went to Walmart in Reno, NV it would be probably about $218 or so. Is that a lot? Lol.

ajjdnndm'smom said...

Okay,I love a good guessing game...
I have to say...I did this never leaving my computer chair to check on prices (or on-line), I just tried to remember what I have paid in the past, I don't check prices like I use to but I have shopped for groceries for 35 married years!!! So.................
I guess $250.00 (and I think that would be a GREAT bargain)....how did I do?

ajjdnndm'smom said...

BTW - I would LOVE a little helper like that around my house!!!!!

Jennie said...

Eddie is so stinking cute. The gloves make me laugh.

Train Gang said...

In Phoenix, Az: the regular grocery store would be anywhere from $275-$300 for all that good stuff. so I have to shop at walmart or the cheap/ghetto food marts around here (spouts/food city) BUT they are sort of dirty places to shop at and I think I could get all that for like $180-200 maybe.

The big question is...Does this mean you bought all this food at the same time?????????????????????? I am still totally and completly baffled and amazed if you did. my reg. tab for groceries is about 50 bucks cause thats about how long it takes for a huge meltdown crying fit from one/both of the girls. I go often and for a very short trips. :(

I'm super jealous though, looks like you are set for food storage!! If we have a natural disaster, we will just come move in with you ok?

jessie said...

Dalee -

Yep - this was all at once! LOL! And with both boys! Eddie sits in the seat and Jackson walks next to me. I actually do one big shopping trip a month at three separate stores (Costco, Aldi's, Wal-Mart). It takes two days, but then I don't have to worry about it for a whole month! :) (And I never go to the 'expensive' grocery stores! I'm too cheap! LOL!! Seriously - I'd have a hard time moving to a place that didn't have an Aldi's - a European chain of grocery store that's SO cheap! You actually rent a cart and get your money back if you return it, and then you bag your own groceries...but it's totally worth it!)

To keep meltdowns to a minimum I always bring sippy's and snacks. Oh - and we ONLY shop in the morning. The boys NEED their afternoon naps! :)

Train Gang said...

thats an inspiration to me! truly. We have snacks and sippy cups coming out our ears when we go to the store. the girls practically eat their lunch in the cart just cause I have to keep putting something in their mouth to keep them quiet. But I found that going with just one girl (on a saturday when robb is there to take one on his errands) then I can go really fast. the hard part is the girls TOGETHER. they have cat fights already. i'm so in trouble. It looks like your boys really like eachother!!! Sim and Ven have lovey moments but they really can get fired up at eachother too. heaven help me.