No, we're not hiding... June has been a super busy month and unfortunately brought a super big problem... (Any other PBS fans out there? :) While I was away at Girls Camp - an adventure that deserves its own entry - our hard-drive broke. Yep - it broke. Something internally ceased to function which not only left us without a working computer, but also the instant gut-wrenching, 'I-think-I-threw-up-a-little feeling' when I realized that while I have been advocating the purchase of an external hard-drive since the dawn of time...it was just a big expense that kept taking a back seat to other needs.
Pictures, videos, GONE. And if you know one thing about me you know that I am ALWAYS taking pictures. I had THOUSANDS of pictures saved into files organized by date. Additionally, since our video camera is quite large and cumbersome we use our camera to take most of our videos. Those, too...GONE.
After my initial hyperventilation, Justin told me there were several companies in the area that specialize in data restoration and that no matter the cost he would get our pictures and videos back. (While I assume guilt from not having purchased the aforementioned external hard-drive caused him to make such a grand offer, I don't think he realized then that it would mean shelling out close to $2000 when all is said and done...) So now our hard-drive is sitting in a certified 'clean room' being handled by experts who have successfully retrieved information from fire and water damaged hard-drives. (This is my internal reassurance that surely they can get the files from our hard-drive that was neither melted or exposed to liquid.) We will know by Monday or Tuesday the results of their hard work. ANY prayers would be more than welcome. :)
For now I am writing from Justin's work laptop because to get our computer running again we need to buy a new hard-drive, a new operating system, and of course an external hard-drive. Justin has vowed to get us operational as soon as we hear back from the data-retrieval company. So if all goes well our unintentional hiatus will be over next week. Again, prayers are welcome! :)
6 comments:
Thanks for another reminder that I need to back up everything. I have been a little bad about doing it since we got the Mac. They are just so much safer but I know that it still could break. Maybe you need a mac?
jess- i'm so sorry! we had the same thing happen to us last year and thankfully my genius brother-in-law came out to visit soon after it happened and was able to retrieve it all before we trashed the thing. and that reminds me-- we DO have an external hard drive, but it's been months since i archived our pictures on to it! better get on that one just in case!
A couple of weeks ago we had to take our laptop in because the network card had stopped working. Jon had recently cleared our desk top to reload everything because it was running slow. I thought the desktop was backed up to one external drive and the laptop to another.
After I tripped on a cord that connected the external hard drive to the computer which broke the connecting piece to the external hard drive, Jon let me know that both computers were backed up to that hard drive. That is a horrible feeling. Luckily, Jon does a good job of making CDs with pictures to send to relatives so if we needed to we could get those back to restore some of our missing pictures and we keep a photobucket website that keeps a lot of our pictures. Those were both things I was grateful for when our house was broken into and our laptop, cameras, and camcorder were stolen last year.
I was lucky this time because the laptop(that had been sent in to be fixed) came back with everything on it and Jon figured out a way to turn the external drive into an internal drive so the broken connecting piece didn't matter.
O'Jess! I feel your pain, I've been there! I'm saying many prayers that you get everything back soon. And a working computer would be nice we miss you!!
Oh my gosh, I was getting sick just reading that! You just gave me the push I needed to back everything up. I hope it all works out!
oh man! so sorry. hope they can retrieve everything for you.
Post a Comment