Happy 2 weeks, baby girl!
It has been an eventful week! Norah celebrated her two week birthday (time is flying!) on Tuesday and as of her weight check yesterday (Wednesday) she has finally made it back to her birth weight of 4 lbs. 13 oz.! We are so very proud. :)And now (written with Nellie's permission.. :), another exciting announcement is the (surprise) arrival of Will Thomas Johnston! He weighed in at 6 lbs. 13 oz. and is 20 inches long. (Maybe he and Norah will be more than friends someday? If he can handle an older woman, that is. ;) He made his debut on Tuesday at almost four weeks ahead of schedule. Nellie had a great delivery, but prayers are now needed for her little warrior as his gender and nationality (skinny white boy :) proved him not quite ready for life on the 'outside'. After his delivery the nurses noticed he was having to work harder than normal to breath and they decided to give him some additional oxygen to help him transition to room air. Unfortunately, that course of action was not enough and after further testing it was discovered that he has 'premature lung disease' which basically means his lungs aren't able to function as necessary due to his prematurity. An additional hurdle occurred when they discovered that he had developed a hole in one of his lungs from working so hard to breathe (as of this afternoon the hole had begun to repair itself - a definite answer to prayer!). Last night the decision was finally made to sedate and put him on a respirator so his little body could take a break. He was also given a synthetic form of surfactant (which the body produces naturally prior to delivery in order to prepare the lungs for air) which will help his lungs develop. Will's doctor explained that every baby has a different time-table on when they begin to produce this which is why some babies (like Eleanor) can be born at 35 weeks and be fine and other babies born at 38 weeks - which is full term - can still have under-developed lungs. (Will came at just 36 wks. 3 days).
Will is a champion, though, and is expected to be home in 2 weeks. Nellie and Jonathan are unable to hold their little man just yet - which has been extremely difficult for them, but he certainly knows they love him and that they cannot wait to bring him home to introduce him to his older sister (Riley) and brother (Tyler). Little Will was given a blessing by his daddy and while he is expected to make a full recovery it doesn't change the fact that he's not home now or the fact that Nellie and Jonathan will face a challenging couple of weeks as they drive back and forth for round the clock feedings (once Will is able to try feeding by mouth - for now he is being given IV nutrients) and visits while also trying to maintain normalcy for their toddlers. I know they appreciate any and all prayers for their little guy to make a speedy recovery! Particularly for him to be removed from the machines so they can hold him.
I was able to visit Nellie and Will in the hospital yesterday. While doing the necessary 3 minute hand-washing session required of all visitors in the Special Care Nursery I struck up a conversation with a nearby mom holding her baby girl. I asked her how long she'd been there (12 days) and how much longer it would be before she could take her baby girl home (she hoped 2-3 days) and then asked what she was 'in for' - referring to why she was in the SCN. The mom then explained that her daughter was born at 35 weeks and had been having breathing issues. That brief conversation completely humbled me as I realized just how lucky Justin and I were that Norah (or Eddie and Jack for that matter!) did not have breathing difficulties despite their early arrivals. (Nellie's older son, Tyler, was also born early (37 weeks) and had no problems which just verifies what the pediatrician told Nellie: "Every baby is different.") Get well soon, Will! There are playdates to make and your future wife to meet! :)
Congratulations on your adorable new son, Johnston Family!
4 comments:
I got to see him yesterday, what a handsome little peanut! No baby yet, in fact they said I digressed. I am only a 1 and 50% effaced. Bummed me out big time. I saw Dr. Barnes, not sure what I think of him yet. I see Dr. Fishburn Thursday so we will see. I hate to say it but I am getting the feeling he is stuck and wanting to scoot back up away from the light! I guess he likes his mama a little much. I need to call you or email you!
Many prayers to the Johnston family. I remember all too well what it's like to have a little one in the NICU. Praying he recovers quickly and is home with his family soon.
Yes, you were/are so blessed to have Norah so healthy. She looks so much like Jackson in that picture - as I remember him at that age.....
Isn't Nellie your friend that is the RS President - boy I hope she gets some compassionate service!!
Jessica you are rubbing off on your expectant friends! she hangs with you, and BAM early baby!? Glad your little sweetie has a betrothal. Your boys might already be spoken for (macdonald girls).
Post a Comment