Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Mountain Vacation 2008!

This past week we had the opportunity to rent a HUGE 'cabin' (more like a ski lodge) about 3.5 hours away up in the Blue Ridge Mountains. We shared the cost with four other families and had a wonderful time just hanging out and enjoying the beautiful North Carolina wilderness! We drove up on Thursday and stopped at the NC Wildlife Center where Jack and Eddie's favorite animals were the goats. Forget the bears and wolves...our boys just wanted to pet the farm animals! LOL! The rest of our weekend was full of hiking, playing in a river, finding a breathtakingly beautiful waterfall, celebrating Arwen's 3rd birthday, and the best part was doing this all with such good company! We hope to make this an annual adventure! :)

P.S. Thanks to everyone for your congratulations on our baby girl! We are still in shock and just completely excited! As for names - which a couple of you asked about ;) - we simply CANNOT agree on what to call our little princess. This is particularly frustrating to me since we had TWO great boy names picked out if the ultrasound had yielded different results! LOL! (Now I'm hoping we have two more boys in the future just to use the names! LOL! :) Basically I suggest names and Justin shoots them down. This has been the pattern for the past week (and happened during both of my previous pregnancies now that I think about it!) and I've decided to drop the subject until Justin brings it up again. :) (Believe me, there's a whole post about this subject coming soon!) Anyway - enjoy the pictures! :)

Jackson was just as excited about Arwen's presents as she was!

Our little river man! He LOVED playing in the water and finding his own rocks to throw.

Jack loved the water, too, but was a little cold at first. ;)

He found lots of shells and rocks he decided to keep. They are now randomly scattered around the house. :)

Daddy and Eddie

Eddie, Kate, Jack, and Riley gearing up for our little hike to the water fall!

Both of the boys decided they'd rather ride than walk on the way down from our hike. I carried Eddie for most of the way, but Justin decided to give me a break and double-team them. This lasted about two minutes. :)

The beautiful view at the top! This waterfall was almost vertical up the mountain and had a big swimming hole area at the bottom. We weren't able to swim because we had to be back for the birthday party, but Justin and I would LOVE to take the boys here again someday to jump off of the rocks!

Eddison impressed everyone with his dribbling skills. Justin's been practicing with him and he's actually pretty good!

Riley, Arwen, Jackson, Eddison, and Kate all enjoyed classic push-up pops in the warm mountain sunshine. (We missed Noah and Tyler for the line-up since they were napping. Also not pictured were Josh Burgess and Alexandra Gammon who are both still too little to enjoy the wonders of the push-up pop. :)

Eddison taking his first few licks...
We knew a mess was imminent!

There was no way around it... We had to strip him down post-pop because he was wearing just as much as he ate! But it was SO worth it (for him to enjoy and for us to watch!)!

Wherever Jack goes Eddie is sure to follow!

Jack's "best friend in the whole world" is Riley. He tells us this almost daily. Of course sometimes I get to be his best friend, too. (Mostly when I say okay to lying down with him for "a little bit" at bedtime.) :)

We bought Jack a fishing pole for the trip and he had a blast casting it into the river. Don't worry - we didn't put a hook on it! There were too many potential emergency room visits written all over that idea! Instead we tied a weight around the line and he was able to fling that just fine. :)

And what would a river experience be without a peeps break every now and then? We thought it was hilarious that he insisted on walking into more shallow water and pulling his shorts and undies down to get the job done. :) Here's a backside view :).

Family picture!

Jack's favorite part of the NC Wildlife center. GOATS!

At one point he happened upon a pile of goat poo (which looks like little pellets) and squatted down next to it and said, "Oooh, look at these nuts!" (He had previously been picking up acorns on the trail.) Luckily I was able to get his hand away from retrieving the 'nuts' just in time!

Jayne was able to come with us for most of the weekend. Seth joined us on Friday and they left for South Carolina Saturday afternoon. Here she is at the wildlife center and 37 weeks pregnant!

Eddison also LOVED the goats! He had been riding in the stroller most of the time so we had forgotten his flip-flops in the car. Of course he wanted to walk around with the farm animals though so Justin made the call to let him walk around barefoot. After my initial disgust as he stepped on ground that was littered with droppings I decided to just enjoy his total excitement and forget about the fact that what he was doing was SO unsanitary! Of course afterwards I still doused his feet with the complimentary sanitizer they had on hand. A few times.

Justin had a proud daddy moment when he discovered the boys LOVE slim jims. Eddie in particular can polish one off in just a few minutes!

Another adorable Daddy and Eddison moment!

Mommy, Jackson and the cougar! (Go Cougars!)

Justin teaching Jack how to feed the goats.

5 comments:

Lyndsey said...

Ok so somehow I totally missed the whole girl announcement on my google reader. Congrats on another healthy little human! All I am going to say is that a girl is just something else all together. So much the same but so different. Caitlin is just so much quicker than Tommy was about basically everything. Walking like 2 whole months early, starting to talk way earlier it is totally crazy!!! Love you guys and so happy that all is well

Unknown said...

Son exciteing!! Yay! Oh my you are going to have a blast with ribbons and bows and all the cute fabrics out there! Jackson will love on her so much!! The cabin sounds fun. We need to get to the mountains sometime. It looks so refreshing. About the name thing,..I had the same problem,..alot of my favorite girl names were not Daniels favorites so what he did was went to a website (I think it was www.mybaby-name.com) and look names up on his down time at work,..started with A and would save his favorites in a list they let you make that is easy to print and then bring them home for me to look at. I would say yay or nay to them, and we ended up with a small list of names a-k that he already said he liked and then we went from there. We did this for Kailani as we had a hard time with her name. Good luck!!

Unknown said...

I meant SO exciteing! haha sorry.

Molly said...

I miss going to the NC mountains. I'm not sure in the last picture who looks more nervous about feeding the goats.

The Ross Clan Dad said...

You guys always have such fun vacations!

I think we still have our baby name books you're welcome to them.