The idea behind the Christmas Jar is from a book called 'Christmas Jars' that was given to us by Justin's parents a few years ago. It is feel-good Christmas story about the tradition of filling up jars with your loose change throughout the year and then delivering them anonymously to someone's doorstep sometime during the Christmas season. It's a wonderful tradition!
This year we were blessed to have been able to fill two jars (mostly with pennies) which we debated splitting between two recipients. But then we decided since there wasn't a fortune in either jar it would be best if we just kept them together (for a total of a little over $75). So we drove to the recipients house (after it was already completely dark out) and spent at least twenty minutes casing their neighborhood. We must have passed by their house about fifty times working up the nerve to finally stop and just "make the drop." Justin and I were joking the whole time about needing to be better at being criminals. :) I tried to reassure him that I had once watched a Dr. Phil about the characteristics of great criminal minds so I could successfully make the delivery without being caught. ;) (Besides, he did the ditching last year so it was technically my turn.)
Finally, I had Justin stop the car and then I let Jack come with me to sneak up to the door with the jars and leave them on the doorstep. Then we ran back to the van and Justin was about to drive away when I realized I probably should have knocked before we ran back so they would find the jars before morning. So we debated for a few minutes about who should be the one to run back, knock, and then run like the wind back to the car. The whole time Jackson was emphatically declaring that he wanted to do it and he could run faster than anyone. So I finally said, okay Jack, you run and knock and then run back really quickly. Justin was laughing and had doubts because Jack is such a nice/chatty kid that he was afraid he'd get caught and then 1. They would know it was us. 2. Jack would stand there chatting for an hour. It was so funny!
Finally, after Justin and I coached Jack for a minute ("Just run really fast there, knock like this (knock, knock, knock) and then run as fast as you can back to the van. Don't turn around! Just run!") on how to ding-dong ditch someone, Jack was off! I was loudly whispering out of the window, "Hurry! Okay, good job! Come on!" And we heard Eddie from the backseat say, "I can't watch this." LOL!!! Jackson ran, knocked and then came back and dove in the van in a flash. As soon as he was in Justin was tearing off down the street with the automatic sliding door still closing. It was awesome and Jack did a phenomenal job. :)
I am so glad we had Jack play such a big part in it (first coming with me and then going back alone to knock) because he's never had that chance before. I know it meant that much more to him to really be involved and I hope he will remember the feelings of excitement and happiness that flooded the car throughout our journey this evening. This was definitely a fantastic start to our 12 Days of Christmas Kindness Countdown! :)
| The only thing written on the back of the card was, "Please accept our Christmas Jars and know that you are loved. Merry Christmas!" |
No comments:
Post a Comment