This year we were a bit disappointed to learn that there were no families in our ward who are in need of a "Secret Santa" - Wilde family style (or if there are, they've already been "claimed" by other families). I suppose that's really a great thing, but then we were left to decide how and what to do for our Christmas Service project tradition. Because my sisters and mom and I were blessed several times at various times in my childhood by anonymous families who generously gave money, coats, and once even a car (!), having the opportunity to now "give back" is a tradition that is extremely important to me. It is a tradition that my mom - and by extension my sisters and I - were always eager to participate in once we were able to have a bit of extra to share. I don't remember 99% of the gifts I got each Christmas, but I can remember as clear as day the wonderful feelings of joy (what I now know was the Holy Spirit), love and the confirmation of the true meaning of Christmas each time we were able to help another family in need. And those are the feelings that I want more than anything for my own children to experience.
In my search for a service project I was recently (as in this afternoon) inspired on Pinterest. :) There was a pin about a woman who does a 'random act of kindness' advent with her family beginning on December 1st. Since it's already December 7th - I decided we could still have quite a bit of fun doing just the 12 Days of Christmas as well as putting our own spin on her idea. And thus 2012 will mark our first annual Wilde Family 12 Days of Christmas Kindness Countdown! I can't even begin to express how excited I am about this! :) Instead of one fun act of service to help a family in need - we will all enjoy 12 days of bringing joy to others. The true meaning and spirit of Christmas!
As Justin's parents have asked for the past few years that all of their children use any money that would have gone to purchasing them a gift be used instead for service, we have been able to do even more than we had in years past. This is such a blessing! All they ask is that we share our experience(s) with them... And so I thought the best way to do that this year would be by blogging about it! :) So Mom and Dad, stay tuned for our first Christmas Kindness - beginning December 13th and ending on Christmas day.
P.S. Holy cannoli am I way behind on blogging! I think I have at least 15 blog posts started, but not yet published because I need to go back and finish typing/uploading photos. Who would have guessed that having five kids would be so, well, busy? :)
1 comment:
Oh my goodness. I saw that same pin and was thinking the same thing! I wanted to do the random acts of kindness for our gift to Mom and Dad. I'm totally not going to have my act together this year, but do you think I could copy you in the years to come?
Post a Comment