Monday, April 04, 2011

Eddie Says 'Sayonara'!

They're gone! (Eddie's tonsils and adenoids, that is.) After a scary incident in January that sent Eddie to the ER with tonsils so large they were obstructing his airway (he had strep throat and tonsilitis) - we finally sought the advice of Dr. Levine, the ENT who performed Jack’s tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy last summer. Dr. Levine examined Eddie’s tonsils and graded them the same as Jackson’s had been – a 3 and a 4. Their size – along with the day to day side-effects Eddie has been living with by having such huge tonsils/adenoids (snoring, apnea, mouth breathing, restless sleeping – everything Jack had) – not to mention the possibility for a repeat of the January ER visit every time Eddie gets strep or tonsillitis – lead Dr. Levine to determine that it would be in Eddison’s best interest to have the surgery.

Here he is in the waiting room. Lookin' pretty chipper for 5 a.m.! Pictured with Eddie is his new Pillow Pet "Curious George" (And nope, it's not a monkey. It's a turtle.). We got him that an a pair of new jammies (the ones he's wearing) for the special occasion and he was on cloud nine! At first he named his pet "Nemo," but later during post-op (and still very under the influence of the medications) he insisted that the turtle was now a SHE and HER name was Curious George. LOL!

Uninterrupted playtime with just Mom and Dad's undivided attention will make any middle-child smile! :)

Finally called back and asked to change into the hospital gown. Independent Eddie insisted on doing this all by himself. I love his, "Like what?" face. :)

Ahh... The glorious "happy juice". The bracelet on his left arm (under my hand) warned, "FALL RISK". He's feeling pretty great right about now... And very silly! :)

First post-op photo with Daddy and Curious George. He did WONDERFUL in the recovery room! I was fully expecting a repeat of what happened with Jack (who had a very difficult time coming out of the anesthesia and was crying/upset/scared for at least thirty minutes as he tried to fight himself awake from the anesthesia.). Instead, Eddie just slept for a good hour while I laid next to him. After the hour mark the nurse asked me to gently see if I could wake him up - just to be sure the anesthesia was wearing off. Her concern was that he may be laying there in pain and unable to wake himself. So I just gently shook him and called his name and he finally started to stir and open his eyes. He was pretty groggy, but he over at me and smiled and said, "Hi Mommy! I lub you!"
It was so sweet! He didn't struggle or get scared at all! And he immediately ate an orange popsicle and just sat there calmly - still just very dazed and groggy.

After a little while we got to go to the step-down recovery room where he had another popsicle and made me giggle in his loopy state with some random comments. My favorite happened after I observed him just staring intently off into space for a good two minutes. I finally said, "Are you okay, Eddie?" And he slowly turned his head to look me in the eyes and whispered incredulously, "Mom! I can sing a song with my nose!" SO funny! :)

We got home from the hospital before noon (which was amazing as I didn't end up having to pump at the hospital!). Aunt Jayne had driven up from S.C. to stay the night so she could watch Jack, Norah and Beckett for us and we arrived home to her swiffering my floors. Can I even tell you how much I hate swiffering the floor? It was awesome. :) (THANK YOU, JAYNE!)

And later that day Jackson had his very first tee-ball game! Up until this picture he had been having two-three times a week practice, but this was the first real game where he got to wear his uniform. Isn't he so handsome?! :) LOVE IT! I was sad to miss it since I had to stay home with Eddie-O, but Justin said he played great (and has since then as well!) and there are plenty of games to come!

1 comment:

Katy said...

Your new blog is so.stinkin'.cute.

I am in LOVE with Eddie! What a little trooper! I do suppose your insurance deductible has been met for the year. Hurry, have another baby!