In lieu of the annual 4th of July Johnston BBQ/Fireworks-in-the-cul-de-sac Celebration - Nellie's dad (who is the current Stake President of the Charlotte, NC South Stake) invited all of us to join their Stake for games and great fireworks (the kind you can't buy in NC, lol). So we did a quick BBQ at Jonathan and Nellie's and then headed to SC for the festivities. We'd been hesitant to go since it's SO stinkin' hot lately and I wasn't positive I wouldn't melt, but the weather actually cooperated and though it was hot - it wasn't unbearable at all. We had SO much fun - even if I was slightly terrified after a couple of the HUGE fireworks misdirected and blew a little (LOT!) too close for comfort. (The kids loved it, though!) After those incidents I was on edge and ready to make myself into a human shield at any moment, lol.
Eleanor was in awe and just utterly delighted with every firework. Last year she was already in bed by the time we saw any action so this was really her first experience with fireworks.
Silly is what this kid does best. :)
Eddie looking like he got into a fight with a liger.
Little Miss happily taking a break in her stroller.
I asked him for a 'normal' smile and this is what he gave me to work with. :)
Oh, Eddie, my Eddie... What are we going to do with you?! While playing around a little water storage structure along with a hundred other little kids, Eddie just happened to be the one attacked by the hornets that had apparently made a nest there. He only got stung once (the first of our kids to be stung by a bee/wasp/hornet), but it HAD to be right on his eyelid! It swelled almost immediately and our friend Tiffany (who is ALWAYS prepared!) saved the day because she happened to have a Benedryl stick in her purse which helped ease the pain and stop the swelling. Poor little guy! The next day his eye didn't look to bad, but day 3 had him looking like Sloth from the Goonies! (I wish I had taken a picture! Lol!)
Jack, Mommy, Sprout, Norah, and Eddie
Eddie, Daddy, Jack, Norah, and our honorary son, Tyler (He really wanted to be in the picture. :)
The first thing Eddie did when we arrived at the Catawba building was to get drenched in the enormous sprinkler they had running.
The great pretender... He was actually very happy, but was trying to 'fake' me out for the picture. Yeah - he does that a lot, lol. :) If I want him to smile I have to say, "Eddie - don't smile!"
You might consider Norah a Daddy's girl... And you know what? I don't even mind. :) I love the relationship Justin has with our little Hummingbird. He dotes on her so much and she just adores him right back.
Eleanor and Daddy
For the actual 4th of July we had our friends - the Burgess family - join us for BBQ and then set up chairs in the cul-de-sac to watch our neighbors set off their illegal fireworks. :) Julie had brought up all of the makings for root bear floats and I couldn't help but think that there couldn't possibly be anything more American than eating BBQ, sitting in a cul-de-sac with a bunch of our Southern good ol' boy neighbors lighting illegal fireworks, and eating root beer floats! It was perfect! :)
The kids' monster truck was the perfect viewing chair. :)
What Independence Day celebration would be complete without some sparklers?
2 comments:
Sorry about Tyler jumping into your picture :) He does that more than I care to admit.
Your family is SO adoreably fun!
I haven't had a chance to look in on the blog in a couple months and Eddie and Norah have changed so much! Eddie looks all grown up (like a big boy not a toddler big boy, ya know?) its making me sad :( how is this happening so fast.
I'm requesting more baby updates like how are you feeling, how is the baby? are those feel like soccer kicks are ballet points in there?
you are getting down to the wire now!!! we are so excited.
Post a Comment